Monday, October 25, 2010

Thanksgiving and dirty running shoes

I almost don't recognize myself from the beginning of spring. Running has done a lot for me physically, I've gotten smaller and stronger, but probably the most marked improvement is mental. I used to hate the song that talked about "seeing clearly now, the rain has gone," I mean, who wants to see your obstacles anyway? But, that's exactly what running does for your mind. The only difference is, you feel like the obstacles, although in plain view, aren't that big of a deal anymore. Somehow, the more your body sweats, the less your mind does.

Over the summer as I trained with my Team in Training family, I learned every crumbly sidewalk, every hill that made my legs scream, and every water stop on our normal paths. I learned that God will bless your feet, ankles, knees, hips and He'll hold them all together on your nearly 40 year old body if you just ask. I learned that when you're grieving, running is a very productive way to get those feelings out and the tears mix right in with the sweat, so no one really notices. I learned there are too many things that go on everyday that we should be thankful for instead of taking for granted.

I heard Joel Osteen say that God sends us all kind of blessings, all kinds of opportunity in our lifetimes. In doing so, He often sends what we never expected and if we don't stay open and pay attention, we could miss out on something big He's trying to do in our lives. I never expected one of my biggest blessings so far, to be a little greyhound from Birmingham. Because of her, and I hate to say this, but also because of the cancer that took her, I realized a gift I didn't even know I had. She wasn't alone in bringing out the best in me. I have another blessing, her brother, asleep right now, on his featherbed, right beside a dirty pair of running shoes.

2 comments:

  1. Stephanie, your writing brought tears to my eyes. I can't wait to read more, you are truly a blessing to everyone who reads your posts. You are an inspiration girlie, keep it up!!! Love you! Karen Hughes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen, that means so much to me! Love you too!!

    ReplyDelete